*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Any Ft Wilderness sites to recommend that are easier to access with a 43 ft 5th wheel?
What level site do you have reserved?

There are lots of sites we fit on. My prior rig was a 42ft 5er and long bed, crew cab dually. There are many more in the Premium/Premium Meadows sites, but still plenty in the Full sites. I have used this site to scope out sites. It has pics and their estimate of dfficulty.

https://wildernessprincess.net/loop-site-details/

I've also found the many YouTube videos of the loops to be helpful.

Ultimately, what I do is have an idea of the sites I like and when I arrive at the Fort, I ask the CM to pull out their book to see what site is currently available that has at least 60ft of pavement. If nothing is available or I really want a specific site, I'll see if that will be available and I wait.

Either way, I have always been able to find a site I can get into.

j

I have been reserving Full sites lately. I like to stay for 10-16 days and the price difference between a Full and a Premium/Meadows adds up fast. The Full sites are thought to be smaller and don't accommodate big rigs. While the Full (and Preferred loops) are not as wide as Premium sites (12ft vs 18ft on average). There are sites long enough for us.

As for trees and other things to scrape up the sides and roof. The Fort does a really good job keeping trees and bushes trimmed. Much better than many campgrounds I've been in. I rarely have had an issue with low hanging branches on a site or loop road. Trash cans, transformers, fire hydrants, random fences, site posts and neighbors cars and golf carts are a different story. This was the view from my rig and the neighbors across the road. This was only on the weekend as there were mostly local folks that invited their family for the weekend. By Monday morning, it had mostly cleared out, but this shows a broader picture of some of the non-moveable challenges.

20220116_160943.jpg

This was the same site as above from 2022. 1600 Loop, site 1624. My motorhome is as long as my old 5er (42ft). The coach and Jeep fit fine. I'm not quite as long as the 5er and dually, but close. I have some other pics with my 5er on some of the Premium sites for earlier visits at home. I'll post some of those for comparison.

Fort- Jan 2022.jpg

j

Last edited:
Here are a couple of more examples.

This was the 1100 loop, site 1122 for the DIS meet in 2020. This was a Premium loop.

This was a super easy site to back into. The loop makes a turn to the left and all you do is pull far enough forward and back directly into it. There was quite a bit of vegetation at the edges of the site and despite it having 6 more ft of pavement, it felt narrower than the Full site above. It was deep enough for the truck and 5er, but due to being on a curve, I usually pulled the truck in at an agle to make sure I was out of the road.

20201008_124718.jpg

20201008_124638.jpg

This one was a nice site, although a bit short. Not very hard to get into as long as you missed the site post. This is in the 600 loop, site 618. It is a Premium Meadows site today. It backed up to the canal and had great views out the back. I couldn't push back too far because of the vegetation and drop off to the canal, but I still fit.

20180904_165748.jpg

20180904_165444.jpg
20180904_165517.jpg
20180904_165533.jpg

This "Premium" site wasn't as fun. It was 2017 a few days after hurricane Irma rolled across the Fort and closed it for almost a week. When they finally let us into the Fort, there were only a few loops open. This is site 1404, a Premium Meadows site today and was one of the only sites available. Pretty short and not terribly easy to get into due to being on the inside of a left hand curve and lots of trees. It did have extra apron, but the site post and utility post (green hose) weren't in the best place for a 42 ft trailer.

20170921_183829-1612x907.jpg

20170921_183806-1612x907.jpg

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter