Safely Driving through CA to Disneyland?

Jperiod

I am the rebel spy!
We were planning to drive to Disneyland this fall from AZ but my husband is becoming more concerned about the increase in brazen crime, even just stopping for gas or a drive thru for food on the way.

Are there any locals that care to comment? Our perspective is just from news stories. He's wanting to cancel our trip this year since we can't fly in.

I don’t know what to say to this… we live in Southern CA and drive all over all the time - San Diego, Palm Springs, LA, Santa Barbara. Nothing is risk free, but as far as driving instead of flying, well, statistically your chances of a car crash are way, way higher than your chances of witnessing a crime.

There are nice and not-so-nice spots in almost every city/major urban area so as long as you have fairly good street smarts and avoid doing anything that draws crazy attention to you and your family you should be fine. We do about four to six drives over each year and honestly the roughest part we stop at each trip is in Victorville near the Costco at a LA style diner we love so we "risk it".

Most of the Anaheim area around Disneyland is fairly safe and never had an issue. Also driving over to the 3rd gate (Knotts Berry Farm) brings a bit closer to LA but it's still fine. 99.9% of the people in Norwalk, Cerritos, La Mirada, are great people. Don't let the news scare you and have some fun. Just do so prudently. I would not leave a stack of iPads and laptops on your front seat even parked at Disneyland :)

Coming from Phoenix?

I fill up the minivan before leaving town and make it all the way to LA without issue. Our stops are usually the Starbucks in Blythe for bathroom and coffee, and Palm Desert for food. We take the Monterey Ave exit. It’s a great area and has both Costco & Sam’s Club, which we used to refill at but now do so in LA.

When we get to the DL area we head straight to a nearby Ralph’s to fill up on gas (2345 W Chapman Ave Orange, CA 92868). We often buy Starbucks and other gift cards at Fry’s to use on the trip and earn a ton of fuel points to use at Ralph’s since they are owned by the same company. Then we head to our hotel which for the last few years has been Home2Suites.

We walk to and from the park and feel perfectly safe, even late at night.

My views on crime these days are contradictory. I think many people are blowing it way out of proportion. There was an increase during and after COVID and it seems to be coming back down slowly. At the same time, I think some people really underplay it as a problem and can be dismissive of other people’s concerns.

Obviously you need to do what’s right by or your family but statistically speaking the actual drive is probably far more dangerous then crime.

The crime story is being blown way out of proportion (primarily by people with a specific agenda to push). The crime rate (both violent crime and property crime) is higher in Phoenix, Tucson, and most other Arizona cities than it is in Los Angeles. There are very few high-crime areas on the route between Arizona and Disneyland. Just don't be especially dumb about where you stop and everything will be fine. If you want to feel extra safe then you can plan your stops ahead of time.

I lived in LA for 8 years and never had a problem with crime when I stopped my car for things. That said, there WERE neighborhoods I wouldn't want to break down in because they were pretty shabby. But sticking to the highway you'll be fine, especially coming from the AZ direction. I definitely wouldn't cancel a trip because of crime worries.

Turn off Fox News (and I say that as someone who is not a crazy northern California liberal but a pretty middle of the road kind of guy) . Are their problems? Yes. Are their unsafe areas? Yes, just like any major city (have you been to Dallas or St. Louis). But conservative media has blown the problems WAY out of proportion. We’ve driven from Anaheim to Phoenix many times to do spring training . We would drive from Northern California. Stop in Anaheim for a few days and then continue on to Phoenix to do some spring training games. There was never a time where we felt it was unsafe to stop. Just use your common sense. Nothing is 100% risk-free, but I never felt uncomfortable on that route.

Anyone that says crime isn’t on the rise in So Cal, including Anaheim is living in Fantasyland. Born and raised here in So Cal. Have lived all over the world. Own a residence in So Cal and in two other states. I’m retired Army. DH is a retired LEO. Not going to debate this topic.

With that said, keep your head up, eyes open, don’t be an obvious tourist and you should be fine. Travel during the day and map out your stops, Give your family, friends or neighbors updates on your travel locations as you make your way over. Hope you have a great trip!

I would not expect any problems if you pay attention to your surroundings.

Now that the family and grandkids are grown and too busy to go with me I travel solo to DLR.
I feel safe while off on my own.

The scariest part can be the taxi ride from the airport. Those drivers are something else.

Keep the trip on schedule and have fun!!!

We typically drive when going to DL, but are coming from Northern California (Sacramento area). We have never had any issues or felt unsafe.

There was one occurrence where we parked to eat our lunch at a gas station and realized the truck we parked next to had someone living in it, but he didn't say anything to us or do anything malicious. It just made us feel bad more than anything, knowing we were on our way to an expensive vacation while this guy had to live in his truck.

Anyway, my point is, we have never ran into any issues with crime at our pitstops. Just make sure to leave valuables out of sight (trunk if possible), and be vigilant of your surroundings. I wouldn't cancel the trip!

I've driven solo between LA and Phoenix three times in the last couple of years plus a couple trips to Palm Springs...I cannot say crime ever crossed my mind once along this particular route. As others have said, don't leave anything valuable in plain sight when you leave your car. At least for me, the only "worrisome" issue is occasional spotty cell service while I'm trying to pass the time making some calls.

Thank you all, I think he's blowing it out of proportion too, but wanted to hear it from actual locals or people that have recently driven over. Crime is up where we live as well, but not to the point where I feel unsafe. Heck, we're apparently one of the highest human trafficking and car stealing cities, but we still go out. :rolleyes2

I drive to and through the LA Basin regularity and 100% blowing out of proportion...but I will say that from whatever direction I am headed through I do stop and gas up needed or not and eat before I get into the denser populated areas just from a pure congestion and ease of access since things are tighter as you get deeper into the populated areas and I can blow through without stopping...but it is not necessarily from a safety concern.

I’ve lived in California all my life. It’s just like any other highly populated area. There are definitely areas to stay away from, but you’re not going to see rampant crime at random gas stations and fast food restaurants. We’ve driven from the Bay Area to Anaheim many times without issue. Just use the same common sense principles you would in any city or state: Be aware of your surroundings, stop in busier areas (i.e. avoid remote gas stations), drive during the day if possible, don’t leave anything in your car in plain sight, don’t leave your car unlocked. I wouldn’t hesitate to make the drive based on a fear of crime.

Driving is one of the most dangerous things you will do. Tens of thousands are killed and millions are injured in vehicle accidents every year in the US. I was so concerned I moved to a city where I don't have to drive to get around. Taking the subway is far safer. I would fly if I were you.

Anyone that says crime isn’t on the rise in So Cal, including Anaheim is living in Fantasyland. Born and raised here in So Cal. Have lived all over the world. Own a residence in So Cal and in two other states. I’m retired Army. DH is a retired LEO. Not going to debate this topic.

With that said, keep your head up, eyes open, don’t be an obvious tourist and you should be fine. Travel during the day and map out your stops, Give your family, friends or neighbors updates on your travel locations as you make your way over. Hope you have a great trip!

Not sure what your former professions have to do with the current crime rates, but I have also lived in Southern California my entire life and still live in San Diego. Crime has decreased in my city for two years in a row. Southern California is a huge area and the crime rates and danger levels vary vastly from city to city and neighborhood to neighborhood.

OP - You are more at risk of getting in a car accident on your drive than being a victim of a crime.

The very first time we drove our new car to Disneyland we got lost thinking we had turned into the first exit of the Anaheim city limits and we ended up in the crime area outside of Anaheim and it was so dark we couldn't see where we were heading and Dad had to ask for directions on how to get to Anaheim and Disneyland and so Dad got directions and we finally reached Disneyland and it was really weird. "The reason I said the very first time at the beginning of my post referred to the first Disneyland trip we used my family's new at the time pickup truck" I can't recall where my family got lost but the area was like something out of a rap music video and very weird. But a city you should make a stop at is Indio and avoid Blythe because when my family would always stop in Blythe to spend the night before going home on our trips from Texas and it was alright but very crime-oriented. You could also try stopping at Montclair Plaza if you want to buy more clothing or anything else for your Disneyland trip
Have a great trip JPeriod and try not to worry so much,
Dodger

The level of organized crime you are describing is not really even that common or accepted in places like SF or LA, and it's really only common and embraced in Oakland. So yes, while it has happened enough to close down an In N Out in Oakland, it's not something you need to worry about since you shouldn't be going anywhere near that direction coming from Phoenix.

For reference when we drive from Northern California, we take I-5, and that stretch thru and out of LA is probably worse than anything you will encounter from Phoenix, and it's nowhere near bad enough to discourage us from driving with a child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter