Park visit after abdominal surgery - six weeks later?

Tinkbellfan

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Good morning - I'm week two post op from an abdominal incision partial hysterectomy. I have a trip planned April 16th and the Doctor said I am cleared to go BUT "don't over due the walking". I won't need a scooter the whole time but planning on in park rentals for Epcot and AK. He also said no rollercoasters or anything that puts pressure on my belly. So thinking no FOP as well as coasters. Any other ride I should avoid? I've ridden Remy, Star tours and Rise and think they might be ok but questioning Test Track and Toy Story due to jolting. I'm just so happy to be cleared to go so if I am the bag holder I'm okay with that but just wanted any insight. Also, tips on park scooter rental, use and etiquette would be great.

Good morning - I'm week two post op from an abdominal incision partial hysterectomy. I have a trip planned April 16th and the Doctor said I am cleared to go BUT "don't over due the walking". I won't need a scooter the whole time but planning on in park rentals for Epcot and AK. He also said no rollercoasters or anything that puts pressure on my belly. So thinking no FOP as well as coasters. Any other ride I should avoid? I've ridden Remy, Star tours and Rise and think they might be ok but questioning Test Track and Toy Story due to jolting. I'm just so happy to be cleared to go so if I am the bag holder I'm okay with that but just wanted any insight. Also, tips on park scooter rental, use and etiquette would be great.
I would rethink the park rentals in case they are out when go to rent one and yes they do run out. do you have a plan B in case they are out. I would do the off site rental so you have especially at end of day when you would have to leave park rental if you got one before you head out the gate to transportation as there is no place to sit and wait after your day in the park plus the walk and wait for transportation. if you are planning EPCOT I would plan for a scooter there with all the walking around World Showcase. with a scooter you always have a place to sit and rest and benches are becoming harder to find at all the parks. I would skip both Toy Story and Test Track as both can be very jerky.

I'd really talk with your doctor. There are some tame rides that still might not be a great idea. I'm thinking of the bouncing on Pooh or the big drop in Pirates.

I'd really talk with your doctor. There are some tame rides that still might not be a great idea. I'm thinking of the bouncing on Pooh or the big drop in Pirates.
Agree. I have a few weeks more of recovery so I’ll go over details with doctor. He offered to come with me as my personal physician! If anyone has any tips or things I should know about scooter rental I would appreciate it. I’ll be coming in the back door of Epcot so I think they rent right there at the store.

Sounds reasonable to me (but I admit that I'm not a doctor). Five weeks after my total hysterectomy, I flew up to my son's college graduation by myself. I remember walking up and down all the stairs in the huge gymnasium was the most uncomfortable part. Just be very aware of what/who's around you when you drive the scooter. With the emphasis on cell phone usage, people tend to walk without looking, cut in front of you, etc. Sudden stops or swerves might not feel good.

Oh right. Didn’t think about the actual movement when driving the scooter! Stairs are tough now so I can imagine that being something to look out for. Also thinking about sitting on benches with no support. That might not feel good either after a time.

I recommend booking from a 3rd party vendor because, the thing about the ones at the park is that they are first come first serve and they tend to sell out. I ended up going with Walker Mobility Scooter rentals because, they delivered it to the resort I was staying at and their rates saved me more money than if I'd have rented from the park each day. Their customer service is exceptional too. Hope you continue to have a speedy recovery.

Oh right. Didn’t think about the actual movement when driving the scooter! Stairs are tough now so I can imagine that being something to look out for. Also thinking about sitting on benches with no support. That might not feel good either after a time.
if you can find a bench. Disney has been removing them. and none while waiting for transportation to and from car or bus

Agree. I have a few weeks more of recovery so I’ll go over details with doctor. He offered to come with me as my personal physician! If anyone has any tips or things I should know about scooter rental I would appreciate it. I’ll be coming in the back door of Epcot so I think they rent right there at the store.
that is one of places that runs out quickly as you wont be the only one renting or trying to rent. have a Plan B if they are out. I am another who recommends renting offsite and having with you

I went in 2021, just about 4 weeks after having my gallbladder out and at the very last minute, I decided to rent a scooter from Gold's...just in case. I was so happy I did rent the scooter because I ended up getting pancreatitis just a couple days before the trip and was really sick. I know in hindsight I shouldn't have gone but someone must've been watching over me because by day 3-4 I was feeling better. Anyway, rent the scooter...I rent from Gold's for my mom every trip now and they are great. They are easy to work with and have very reasonable prices. I also think they have a good cancellation policy should you decide you really don't want it before your trip.

I also had a hysterectomy a few years ago and honestly felt great after that surgery, as in I probably could have walked around a theme park easy enough 3-4 weeks out.. I think I only missed about 1.5 weeks of work with that, but everyone is different.

Good luck!

Caveat: I'm a local.

I had a c-section in mid December 2019. We were at Magic Kingdom the weekend after new years for a short afternoon visit, and I visited Epcot the week after that with a friend of mine. In late January, so about 6 weeks after my son was born, some friends visited the parks. We met up with them and did four days in the parks, including one long day at Hollywood Studios. I don't remember doing any coasters, but I know I rode FOP, Smuggler's Run and Rise of the Resistance, and rides with small drops like Frozen/Pirates. By that time, I didn't have any issues with pain or fatigue other than being the parent of a newborn. :) I had no problems walking or pushing the stroller.

But again, I'm a local so I never feel pressured to do everything. We go to Disney to relax.

All great replies. Thank you Nancipants! I think we are a few years apart in age so I'm recovering a little slower. I have a 5" vertical incision so Dr. said no rides that put any pressure on it (FOP is a no unfortunately - but I've ridden it lots). I'm just overthinking but I am looking forward to going. Thanks all for the help!

I had a gall bladder removal and was at the parks 6 weeks later. My doctor said I was fine to ride anything. But be careful of those lap bars. Don't pull them down super tight, and don't forget and throw you hands in the air. Bad move!:scared: I maybe should have skipped Big Thunder Mountain or been more aware.

Thinking back to when I had to travel about six weeks after a total abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral Salpingo-oophorectomy, and I wanted to add to all the great advice above: if you're still taking anything for pain ar the time of your trip, I advise sticking to a schedule instead of waiting until you notice pain.

We had the same surgery! Currently not taking any pain kegs after two weeks but will be bringing the 800ng Advil with me!

We had the same surgery! Currently not taking any pain kegs after two weeks but will be bringing the 800ng Advil with me!
Hi Tink! How was your Disney trip? I have 7 weeks between my abdominal surgery and planned trip and wonder how you did? What rides could you not do?

I've had several abdominal surgeries but never went to disney after but will share how I felt. My first was a horizontal c-section, took no pain meds and felt great by the time I got home. Next surgery was a bowel resection for a complete intestinal blockage ( also had sepsis). Cut vertically from c-section scar to a few inches above my belly button. Went back to work in 8 weeks (work in a school) and felt like death. No way I would have been able to walk the park and do many rides.next c-section was vertical cut due to previous incision. I hurt, a lot, for weeks. Probably could walk the park buy still some abdominal pain (probably due to previous surgery). Last abdominal surgery was a vetical incsion hernia repair. I felt great by like 2 weeks but had limitations for 6 due to previous history. I would have felt fine walking disney and going on all the rides. I really think each person and surgery is different and you need to play it by ear and how you feel. Listen to your body.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter