Nonpark birthday meal for picky eater

Ashlotte

DIS Veteran
Hi, we will be at WDW for my daughter's 19th birthday. It looks like her birthday may fall on our non-park, rest day. I'm hoping for suggestions on a special meal for her birthday. She is a very finicky and light eater, so we would prefer somewhere a la carte, vs a buffet or pre fixe option. Ambiance would be at the top of the wish list.

Secondary question, is there high tea at the Grand Floridian, or did I dream that up?

Thank you. :)

The tea has not come back since COVID. Hopefully, since 1900 Park Fare is back, it will be back soon.

As a fellow picky-eater, Hoop-Dee-Doo is expensive but a favorite of mine. The menu has salad, cornbread, fried chicken, ribs, and maybe beans or mac and cheese (I don't eat either). The dessert is Strawberry Shortcake, which is always really good.

Beaches & Cream has a fairly neutral menu (burgers, grilled cheese, chicken sandwich), has a lot of ice cream flavors, and a fun atmosphere (although not fancy).

If she likes Italian food - Enzo's Hideaway in Disney Springs is pretty good. It's a mock speak-easy and the vibe was really nice in there. We did my mom's birthday dinner at Enzo's and she really liked it.

For nicer dining in Disney Springs, The Boathouse has a pretty wide variety on its menu, although most things are fish or steak. We sat outside during sunset and loved watching all of the amphi-car launches.

A general suggestion is to have her look at the appetizer menus of the non-prefix nicer restaurants. The appetizers usually tend to have more basic options if she does not eat fish or steak. I am a salad person, so I am always ordering apps instead of meals.

Agree with checking out Disney Springs. Alternately, if you will have a car, check out Columbia restaurant down in Celebration. Their salad is delicious.

For atmosphere on a special occasion, I'd pick California Grill! It's my favorite Disney restaurant and never disappoints. If you are there during fireworks they dim the lights and pipe in the music and it's so magical.

For atmosphere on a special occasion, I'd pick California Grill! It's my favorite Disney restaurant and never disappoints. If you are there during fireworks they dim the lights and pipe in the music and it's so magical.
But it’s a fixed price menu where you are paying $89 bucks plus tax and tip for 3 courses no matter how much you actually eat.

What kind of food would she eat?
She likes chicken in most forms (roasted, chicken strips), steak, ribs, hummus, bread, all fruit, most raw veggies, any form of bread, baked goods. Won't eat cheese or sauces, spreads, dressing, or food that is very combined (i.e. casseroles). She'd probably really like the Hoop Dee Doo food if I could convince her it is fun (I didn't sell it well).

She likes chicken in most forms (roasted, chicken strips), steak, ribs, hummus, bread, all fruit, most raw veggies, any form of bread, baked goods. Won't eat cheese or sauces, spreads, dressing, or food that is very combined (i.e. casseroles). She'd probably really like the Hoop Dee Doo food if I could convince her it is fun (I didn't sell it well).

Have her watch a video of Hoop Dee Doo. I went for the first time when I was probably 16 or 17 and was not convinced I would like it (especially when we were sat at the table directly in front of the stage), but we just watched it for the 5th time in December and I want to go back again lol. Also tell her that she does not have to participate in the antics, for the most part, the cast does a really good job of reading the room and not involving people who don't want to (also tier 3 tends to get the least interaction, still some but not as much).

Maybe try a DS restaurant- like others have suggested maybe Boathouse. Lots of choices at DS.
Then take a ride on an amphicar!
Or maybe a balloon ride.
Then watch the new drone show.

For ambiance and a la carte, check the menus for Topolinos and Toledo. Whispering Canyon might fit the bill but it’s not fancy. The Swan Dolphin restaurants are very good - Rosa Mexicano, Il Mulino, bluezoo. Perhaps a steakhouse restaurant for plainer foods - Shulas or Yachtsman

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter