Gideon's Bakehouse-WOW!

There are two sides to every story. If things are so bad, why continue to work there? There are many other places to work, including at DS, which according to this person, pay more (and the pay issue may or may not be 100% be accurate). And who is "we"? Holding judgement for now.

Last edited:
I'm holding judgement for now as well, but it does surprise me that this would be considered a tipped position. TBH, I never tip at places where I'm walking up to a counter to purchase something. Now hearing this, I kind of feel bad but I also think they should just be paid at least minimum wage.

There are two sides to every story. If things are so bad, why continue to work there? There are many other places to work, including at DS, which according to this person, pay more (and the pay issue may 100% be accurate). And who is "we"? Holding judgement for now.
I agree with the bolded section but not your reasoning. There are NOT always new places to work. Nor do we know management’s side of the story.

I’m withholding an opinion just because there are not enough facts to have one.

Wow this is so interesting.
Please do not get me started on the tipping issue. I am so close to going going full boycott of tipping... this weekend I was at a merchandise shop (not at Disney, local in Michigan). I picked up my own items, took them to the register myself, paid with a credit card, and was met with that standard tip screen. Ugh.

I'm holding judgement for now as well, but it does surprise me that this would be considered a tipped position. TBH, I never tip at places where I'm walking up to a counter to purchase something. Now hearing this, I kind of feel bad but I also think they should just be paid at least minimum wage.
I think it might be because they serve coffee/cold brew/etc. So it's coffee shop-ish, and baristas usually are a tipped position. It's a tenuous connection, for sure, but that was always my assumption as to why it's a tipped position. When I go there I tip if I get a coffee (for that reason), but I don't if I'm just purchasing cookies.

There are NOT always new places to work.
In Orlando's service sector there certainly have been--for at least the last few years.

Don't get me wrong--I am firmly on the side of labor in pretty much any dispute like this, by default. But "we aren't being paid enough" where "not enough" is $9+tips has not been that difficult to fix in Orlando for a good while now. For example, Disney is starting people at $18.

Double WOW!

From a "Final Demand" letter.

Gentlemen,
There is an odor most foul in the Bakehouse. It is the stench of the fish rotting from the head.
To our proprietor Steve, and our managers Bryan and Patrick:
There is dissension within the ranks, and if the following items are not resolved as we outline
below, we’re prepared to drag this house of cards to the ground.
Before we proceed with our grievances, numerous and shocking, and the demands to resolve
them; allow us a moment for introductions.
We, are the Ghosts of Gideons, the poor and unfortunate souls upon whom you have built your
cookie empire. We are the many, the unseen, and as of the disastrous meeting May 6th, 2024, the
decidedly unheard.
Many of us have approached management and ownership multiple times with helpful hints,
strong suggestions, and desperate pleas to rectify a myriad of health, safety and operational
concerns- with nearly all of them being dismissed or ignored entirely.
Now, we, the collective, have banded together to deliver this tome- not as a warning of what is to
come, but as a final demand to resolve the issues outlined herein. You may dismiss us
individually, but you cannot ignore all of us together.
Make no mistake, if the following solutions are not implemented with immediate effect, we will
do everything in our power to topple this cookie castle permanently.

I agree, not enough info to pass judgement. I wasn't able to read the full letter they reference (couldn't get the link to work), but even what's in the IG post is pretty heavy. And as others have said, it's only one side of the story.

I will say when I saw the IG post yesterday, several people commented on it, saying they were former employees and corroborated what was said. The post itself is confusingly worded in a couple of spots so it's a little hard to follow fully.

In Orlando's service sector there certainly have been--for at least the last few years.

Don't get me wrong--I am firmly on the side of labor in pretty much any dispute like this, by default. But "we aren't being paid enough" where "not enough" is $9+tips has not been that difficult to fix in Orlando for a good while now. For example, Disney is starting people at $18.
I wasn’t thinking of Orlando specifically, more the country in general, but the little I do know of Orlando, your point makes sense.

I think it might be because they serve coffee/cold brew/etc. So it's coffee shop-ish, and baristas usually are a tipped position. It's a tenuous connection, for sure, but that was always my assumption as to why it's a tipped position. When I go there I tip if I get a coffee (for that reason), but I don't if I'm just purchasing cookies.

That makes sense. I've only ever purchased cookies there so I always thought it strange to ask for a tip.

Double WOW!

Gentlemen,
There is an odor most foul in the Bakehouse. It is the stench of the fish rotting from the head.
There is dissension within the ranks, and if the following items are not resolved as we outline
Before we proceed with our grievances, numerous and shocking, and the demands to resolve
We, are the Ghosts of Gideons, the poor and unfortunate souls upon whom you have built your
cookie empire. We are the many, the unseen, and as of the disastrous meeting May 6th, 2024, the
decidedly unheard.
Many of us have approached management and ownership multiple times with helpful hints,
strong suggestions, and desperate pleas to rectify a myriad of health, safety and operational
Now, we, the collective, have banded together to deliver this tome- not as a warning of what is to
come, but as a final demand to resolve the issues outlined herein. You may dismiss us
Make no mistake, if the following solutions are not implemented with immediate effect, we will
Somebody sounds angry….and anonymous.

here is dissension within the ranks, and if the following items are not resolved as we outline

These threats make it harder to sympathize with them. Even if everything they say is true, I think this will cast doubt in people's minds based on their approach.

Double WOW!

Gentlemen,
decidedly unheard.

I must say, if whoever wrote that, is either fired or quits that job, a new career in journalism should be on the horizon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter