Daily showers are purely ‘performative’ and have no real health benefit, experts insist

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
https://nypost.com/2024/04/25/lifes...youtube&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nypost

Call it perfume-ative hygiene.

Experts say the daily shower has no proven health benefit, dismissing the dousing as a socially accepted practice geared toward staving off accusations of funkiness — as A-listers like Jake Gyllenhaal and Mila Kunis admit they’ve been saying no to the nozzle.

“Why are we washing? Mostly because we’re afraid somebody else will tell us that we’re smelling,” environmentalist Donnachadh McCarthy told the BBC.

The “Prostitute State” author only hoses off once per month to help the environment — a lifestyle choice inspired by spending two weeks in the Amazon with the indigenous Yanomami people, he said.

Every other morning, McCarthy told a reporter, he opts instead for a wash at the sink, using a cloth to give his body a good scrub.

And while abstaining from daily showers might seem like antisocial behavior, medical experts are inclined to lean toward agreeing with earthy types like McCarthy, saying that the modern obsession with cleanliness can actually be hazardous to one’s health.

Manhattan dermatologist Dr. Julie Russak previously told The Post that prolonged and daily showers could strip away the “skin’s microbiome,” which plays a role in protecting the skin and is “also extremely important in overall health of the body.”

Chemist David Whitlock was so adamant about preserving this dermal barrier that the bathing abstainer didn’t shower for 12 years, instead opting to spray himself with good bacteria that he claims neutralizes the body’s smell-making chemicals.

When asked about addressing critics, he told Vice: “Tell anyone who mocks you that they are betraying profound ignorance of the skin microbiome, and then walk away.”

I enjoy a daily morning shower - a good way to start the day.
I do not wash my hair every shower - my hair gets washed twice a week. I can actually go an entire week without washing my hair and it will not be greasy. I’ve been doing this for many many years, so my scalp is used to it. Not washing my hair every day helps my color not fade as fast, and I’ve read more than once that it’s good for your scalp to not wash your hair every day.

I won't say I haven't missed a day (e.g. illness), but I'm a daily shower person.

What I do is take really short showers at home (<3 minutes) and take extended showers at my gym; I also shave (cordless electric) in the shower.

Only time I take a shower everyday anymore is if I have done something like work in the yard. I have eczema and my skin, and my dermatologist are happier because of that.

I shower every day (I feel better after) but I don’t wash my hair every day. My hairdresser encouraged me to wash it less because I have dry skin. Honestly it’s the best decision, I have thick hair that goes past my shoulders it takes 40 minutes to dry it.

I shower daily. When my water broke when I was 2 weeks overdue with my first child, I called my doctor and they said come right in, don’t shower, I showered. When I spent hours on google confirming my appendix was about to rupture, I showered at 3 am before waking my husband to take me to the hospital.

I have really dry skin and live in a really dry climate, so I most definitely don’t shower everyday. I typically wash my (curly) hair twice weekly and when I go for a run I most definitely shower afterwards, so an average of every other day.

I have really dry skin and live in a really dry climate, so I most definitely don’t shower everyday. I typically wash my (curly) hair twice weekly and when I go for a run I most definitely shower afterwards, so an average of every other day.
This. I’m not a shower person - I take a nice tub bath with bubbles and bath oil twice a week and wash my hair twice a week on alternating days. I’m my much of a “sweater” and I don’t engage in sports or grubby work too often. The only time I shower daily is when we’re vacationing in a hot climate, and then it’s more for cooling off than scrubbing up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter