Anyone ever sail out of New York City Manhattan terminal?

71 Truck

Visiting the Magic Since 1973
I just looked and did not see any Disney Cruises out of Manhattan at this time, however for future reference what is it like to sail out of Manhattan.

I was once told the process to drop off luggage and people using a car service is not as coinvent as Port Canaveral.

I was also told you are dropped off across the street from the terminal with your luggage and you have to get it (your luggage) to the porters from there with no help?
Not sure how true all this is.

Thanks.

I just looked and did not see any Disney Cruises out of Manhattan at this time, however for future reference what is it like to sail out of Manhattan.

I was once told the process to drop off luggage and people using a car service is not as coinvent as Port Canaveral.

I was also told you are dropped off across the street from the terminal with your luggage and you have to get it (your luggage) to the porters from there with no help?

Thanks.
We used ride share last year for our Bermuda cruise. We were dropped off where porters collect bags and then walked to our PAT queue (same level).

When returning, there is a level for private car pickup. We took the advice from another poster and tried to get an uber from that same level; that was not a great idea because the apps have pre-programmed pickup locations (across the street). Our driver eventually found us, but I'll cross 12th in the future for pickup.

It is definitely more crowded, but did not seem difficult. I do not recall exactly the drop off procedure. The main thing we remember was the taxi driver who picked us up the hotel complaining the whole time that we were not going to the Airport. Cruising past the Statue of Liberty was pretty cool.

They drop you off right at baggage drop. We also had a hard time finding a cab to only take us from the hotel (broadway and west 57th) to the terminal. I heard there is a place on the upper level to get a ride share but we ended up going across the street and got a taxi back to hotel after cruise (cash fare)

I've Manhattana few times. I've never sailed from Port Canaveral but I don't think it's been any less convenient than Dover, Southhampton, Barcelona, San Diego, Miami, etc. And the issues I have had were random issues that could happen anywhere (customs computer issues, Disney computer issues, Covid testing, for example).

Once I stayed nearby so walked to the terminal. Once I was dropped off right at the terminal, once I was dropped off across the street (by request). It's definitely easier to be dropped directly at the terminal if you're coming from the north (going south) as there is an exit for the terminal. The porters are RIGHT THERE when you arrive at the terminal, so even if you have to cross the street, you don't have to take your luggage very far.

Being picked up, I've always crossed the street, and then it's a game of finding which black SUV is your driver amongst the sea of black SUV's. It's my son (now a teen) and I, and we came back from our last TA with 2 full size suitcases, one carry on, 2 duffle bags, and a back pack each and had no issues getting everything across the street with us. The crossing the street part is actually shorter than the customs to street part.

Also, I head North to get home so it's easier to cross the street to head directly home.

We walked to port from our hotel, so I can’t answer your questions about drop off/pick up, but we LOVED sailing out of and into Manhattan. I froze on the deck at oh dark thirty to watch us sail back in and it was worth it. It’s the first time we’ve missed a show the first night, but it was worth it to sail past the Statue of Liberty at sunset

Never departed from Port Canaveral but have many times from NYC. Easiest is from Manhattan but then I lived in the borough. Cab from house direct to terminal. Pretty sure luggage was taken from the car and we never saw it again until we entered our room.

Last edited:
We flew into Newark and took the train to Penn Station and a cab to the terminal. Dropped off at the porters. The return was the same in reverse - cabs were waiting and we did not need to cross the street.

Adding that we loved sailing from NYC even though it was cold in November and the seas were too rough for some passengers.

Sorry I forgot to mention how Port Canaveral works for those who have not sailed out of of there.

Pretty basic, once off the main road that goes around the port you drive right up to the luggage drop off in front of the Disney Cruise Line terminal. It is on the right hand side of the road.
There the porters take your luggage. After that a left onto the entrance for the parking garage, pay then you park.
I don't think the whole process takes more than 5 minutes.
From there you either walk across a walk way on the ground level or level 3 walk way from the parking garage to the terminal building.

You have gotten a lot of useful advise above. I have cruised out of NYC 4 times, the last one was this past November.

In November, my son drop us off with our luggage right at the porters. This is the same for Taxis and Rideshare. You may see a line of people, that is folks that are there way to early, before their schedule Port Arrival Time. So, do not get there before PAT and you can drop off luggage with porters and walk right in.

Do not get dropped off across the street 12th Avenue and West Side Highway are too busy to deal with and its a wide throughfare.

Previous cruise we drove to port and parked.

Sailing out of NYC is very special....try to have late seat for dinner so you can be up on deck for Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and going under the Verazanos Narrows Bridge, it is pretty amazing.

Do not get dropped off across the street 12th Avenue and West Side Highway are too busy to deal with and its a wide throughfare.
I could be wrong but think there are “No Standing” signs (or similar; non driver writing, lol) on the uptown side of the street so yeah you can stop and unload there. Way too hectic and dangerous to street cross there anyway.

Adult daughter and I arrived a day early and stayed at nearby hotel (probably a Hilton property). Next day, we walked 5-6 blocks straight to terminal, handed off bags and were in terminal. Easy peasy. Did similar with DH but took a taxi from hotel. Don't remember any issues.

You have gotten a lot of useful advise above. I have cruised out of NYC 4 times, the last one was this past November.

In November, my son drop us off with our luggage right at the porters. This is the same for Taxis and Rideshare. You may see a line of people, that is folks that are there way to early, before their schedule Port Arrival Time. So, do not get there before PAT and you can drop off luggage with porters and walk right in.

Previous cruise we drove to port and parked.

Sailing out of NYC is very special....try to have late seat for dinner so you can be up on deck for Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and going under the Verazanos Narrows Bridge, it is pretty amazing.
Thank you for the information.

Years ago my elderly parents sailed out of Manhattan and this was the only place they were told they could be dropped off, across the street from the terminal. At the time they were not sailing with Disney however I do not remember who they were sailing with.

We were thinking of sailing on Disney someday out of New York with my mom but she is set against doing this because of their past experience being told they had to be dropped off and picked up across the street.

The information given has been very helpful.

We recently sailed out of Manhattan Terminal (on Regent, not Disney) for our transatlantic cruise to Barcelona, and our ride share (Uber or Lyft - can't remember now) dropped us right outside the terminal door where the ship was docked. We gave our bags to the Porter right outside the entrance. No issues whatsoever.

Thanks.
My dearest friends did this last November (2023), so I asked them. They said it was super easy. Your ride needs to take the Henry Hudson Parkway to 12th Avenue, there will be a ramp with lots of road signs directing the car to pier 92/94 where Disney ships sail from (the ramp is around what would be 53rd street). The car pulls up directly to the terminal front doors, the porters there take the bags and you walk right in for the security check. Entire process took 15 minutes, even with standing on line a bit. Do NOT get dropped off across the street. This is dated information from when NYC had high security measures at the cruise port at some point in the past. It is a very busy highway to cross to deal with luggage etc. if you are not familiar with it. There is also a parking deck on top if you are parking a car for the duration of your cruise. You would take the elevator from the parking deck down to the terminal if you were doing this.

They said the views of the sun reflecting off the NYC skyline during sail away were spectacular leaving from the heart of Manhattan. They saw the Statue of Liberty and sailing right under the Verazzano bridge was amazing and totally worth it.

For the return trip, after going through the customs/luggage check at the terminal, make a sharp right to the freight elevator that takes people up to the parking deck, but ask the attendant to stop at the floor on the way down where people are initially dropped off for the cruise. You can get get picked up right where you initially got dropped off (my friends said one woman was out there post cruise waiting for her ride in a bathrobe and Mickey ears, which we thought was a really amazing way to end your vacation). No need to cross roads and try to navigate busy streets and bus lanes with your luggage!

The biggest difference is being right in NYC and not at a dedicated area of land where there is space around the cruise terminals. And PC has very little traffic, relatively.

Just imagine what you’ve seen of NYC in movies and TV. It is just plain busy. No wide open ride like that from MCO to the port.

I stayed in Midtown (east and south of Central Park). My rideshare driver must have never dropped off at Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Nevertheless, she was able to pull off the street without horns blaring at us. We were going South, as PP mentioned, putting us on the water & terminal side of the street.

From there, it was boarding a ship. Look for luggage porters, hand off bags, look for someone directing you where to go. In my case, it was an elevator up to the check-in area. Follow any signs for your appropriate amenity level (Concierge, Castaway Club status, whatever the cruise line uses to differentiates priority of service). I find there’s not a lot of variety related to cruise line or ship. The difference is truly in the pre-cruise city.

The terminal I was in had large windows with views of the USS Intrepid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter