150 pts to get blue card... what happens in the future?

I still think they will eventually introduce tiered benefits. Could be 150/300/500 or whatever. Grandfathered contracts will only qualify someone for the first level.

Now, that I can definitely see! Keep the current perks for minimum..but if you have more then you get additional pieces.

I still think they will eventually introduce tiered benefits. Could be 150/300/500 or whatever. Grandfathered contracts will only qualify someone for the first level.
Tiered benefits would be so smart. It would definitely convince existing buyers into adding on (hi, it is me, convinced :wave2:) and I think it could push new buyers into going that little further to hit another level. They probably didn’t even need to introduce restrictions if they made the perks of direct points good enough. I think many of us are much more likely to be motivated by positive reinforcement then negative.

It does look like they are building more DVC lounges including one at MK. I imagine they might try for one in each park. This is generally restricted to blue card holders.

I'll say, if anyone ever starts a thread ranking the ballsiest DVC purchases, this one by @DonkeyHoTay will be up there.
First DVC purchase, 1400 points, OKW, site unseen. That's some serious shock and awe.

First to admit it was an aggressive first step, but I've attended a few DVC presentations over the last 20 years and learned enough to know it had not been the right combination of incentives/restrictions/locations/economics for me to buy points.... until now.

First to admit it was an aggressive first step, but I've attended a few DVC presentations over the last 20 years and learned enough to know it had not been the right combination of incentives/restrictions/locations/economics for me to buy points.... until now.
I'm not knocking it at all, and I congratulate you on your purchase! I'm just saying it was ballsy :)

Just for fun...the price you paid could have gotten you 4900 points at the lowest price paid for a VB contract ($30).

Those dues annually would cost you a pocket change total of $67,917.00

Nice first purchase...enjoy ownership!

Last edited:
Just for fun...the price you paid could have gotten you 4900 points at the lowest price paid for a VB contract ($30).

Those dues annually would cost you a pocket change total of $67,917.00

Nice purchase...enjoy!

At 4900 points I would have been in the top 5 on the 1K point leaderboard.... 🤔

Nah... too many points.

Not even that but 5k at VB would be the absolute worst way to get there with those dues
Haha no I know it was just a fun math experiment. The 1400 points at OKW is infinitely better than any number of thousand points at VB. Just fun to play with numbers

Tiering makes sense to me—in part because it’s already extremely challenging to get into MM events and it’s not uncommon to have to wait to be allowed to access the lounge in EPCOT. Having a guaranteed entry for a VIP DVC event at 300/500/1000 direct points would probably be enough to entice some of us who are less than 200 points shy to pony up and add a new resort, and there are probably other lower cost things Disney could do to get me to add 50-100 points (would also encourage us to hold all my direct contracts and rent them instead of selling them down the line if we visit less often).

Does anyone have any idea what the average number of direct points is? I wonder what threshold would be high enough that would limit it to top 10/5/1% of members. I have to imagine less than 5% of DVC members have more than 1000 direct points, but I have no clue.

I don't see "tiered" benefits happening since they cost money and that money has to come from somewhere. It cannot come from MF's since these fees cannot pay for items that exclude certain members. Almost all of the current "membership" extras really do not cost Disney a dime. I don't believe DVD is financially supporting the discounts of 10% to 20% for certain things and the ability to buy a season pass costs DVD nothing either. The only things that have an expense would be the special events such as the moonlight events and even these limit the number of people allowed.

I could see Disney moving up the minimum points as it seems that is the trajectory. Making it 175 and then 200 might be their next moves. That said, I would hope that Disney would not make a ton of tiers of membership and that would be a lot for the cast members to have to consider/remember.

I think for Disney the ideal situation is that they make it SEEM important that you buy direct so people weigh that option and the get as many direct sales as possible while also making the difference between blue and white card members as small and simple as they can. (Now, not letting people book DLH and Riviera does kind of go against that concept of simplicity.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter