Trans cruising

towels

Tehanna's SO
I remember being nervous leading up to my first cruise as coming out trans, especially given all the different nationalities and different cultures amongst the cruise crew. Now that I've just finished my most recent (a B2B on the Wonder) I just thought I'd report back for anyone else that was curious or nervous.
I'm pretty much presenting feminine full time now, though I haven't done any voice work yet and I'm still 6'0' and some thin hair areas. I did let shoreside concierge know my pronouns ahead of time and my wife got me a cool disney nametag style pin that had my pronouns too. Regardless if they saw it or not, it was an incredible affirming experience. Hearing "ladies" or being called "Miss <name>" for a week was awesome.
There were only two incidents all week- once a crew member opened a door for the wrong restroom for me. I shook my head and went in the other one (only to find a line so I backed out and found the ones one deck above were empty). The second was when there was a glitch on my magicband and the clerk called me Sir. There was an officer right there who ended up calling guest services to resolve the glitch, very emphatically using "her" multiple times. The next day when I went back to make sure she had caught the training opportunity, I didn't even have to remind her. Christina said she'd already talked to him and he knew he'd made a mistake and was scared of saying anything to me the rest of the transaction. It felt good to know Disney's emphasizing the inclusion and coaching accordingly.
I chose not to get off in Ensenada, so I can't speak to any experience with locals, nor did we sail out of Florida, so YMMV there, but all in all it was a great week and a truly positive experience and I felt comfortable and welcomed all week long. 🏳️‍⚧️

Happy you posted your experience. One of our recent DCL experiences when we were sailing concierge there was a passenger that was probably Trans. Yes, I know I shouldn't assume, but my point here is to say that they were not treated any different than the rest of the passengers. They went out proudly and nobody seemed to have any issue with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter