Is Disney World becoming a shell of its former self?

i agree, when we did UO there was just something missing it doesn't seem as "immersive" as Disney. Harry Potter is fantastic, but the walkways seemed a bit small and some of it felt cheap. The 3 broomsticks for instance could have been so much more than what they ended up doing with it. UO has always felt to me like you're walking around in a museum where you are supposed to look but not touch, Disney has always been more than that in my mind, but i'm having a hard time quantifying it. Maybe that's what makes the magic
I can tell you one thing that makes a difference to me - a really, really big difference. CM's smiles, and they really mean it. You can see it in their eyes. You can't put a price on it. The same reason we will go out of our way to stop at a Chick-fil-A rather than a McDonalds, even with a 20% price premium. I like seeing the young folks smile at me when I walk in.

I will agree theming is better at Disney compared to most other parks. As far as Guardians goes, iMO it's an average coaster. People love it for the music and theming. The coaster itself is not that thrilling. Not when you compare it to Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City.

The internet: A place where people tell you their opinion of something that they have never actually experienced.

I always find this interesting, talk to someone who recently became hooked, and they'll tell you how much they love Dis, and all the great parts about it. Talk to someone who has been hooked since birth, and all you'll hear is how it used to be so much better. I think people have put unfair expectations on Dis and maybe been a bit spoiled. You're a good example as to how Disney is still finding new people who find value with what they're offering and constantly growing their base
I recognize that it’s stupid expensive, but I’ve also never experienced a more magical experience where every member of my family was fully “in it” and loving so many moments.

I’m terms of value, my take is “this is what it costs” if I want the experience. And I do think the experience is special.

A lot of the new attractions I find are too flashy and quick paced. IMO they are trying to add in more thrills but they aren't as good as other parks do it. For my family we don't go to Disney for thrills we go for immersive dark rides. They aren't as good as they once were.
Does this have more to do with Disney or the change in behavior of it's customers? Disney has to somehow balance thrill with family and that's hard espcially with the new generation wanting everything higher and faster. Everyone wants to live in the good ole days however those people aren't he one's dominating the parks anymore so companies not just Disney have to change how they operate for the better for some and worse for others.

Does this have more to do with Disney or the change in behavior of it's customers? Disney has to somehow balance thrill with family and that's hard espcially with the new generation wanting everything higher and faster. Everyone wants to live in the good ole days however those people aren't he one's dominating the parks anymore so companies not just Disney have to change how they operate for the better for some and worse for others.
I agree, although I think it’s a bit of tug o war going on. People want the nostalgia, but they also want new thrills, and on top of that the new stuff needs to be inclusive to the whole family otherwise why choose Disney over another park. It’s just hard to balance it all out IMO and I think they’re doing a pretty decent job.

I do agree that their thrill rides do not measure up to almost any other park, but the storytelling and attention to detail really make a difference

Have noticed Epic has 3 of the smooth tamer coasters, similar to SDD-maybe a bit bigger. Werewolf, Donkey Kong and Hiccups dragon.

Looking forward to all 3, as well as Starfall.

Regardless, that's not a high thrill line up.

What I also think that has caused Walt Disney World to become what it is right now is despite the fact that they added new resorts and the addition of the Grand Destino Tower of Coronado Springs Resort people find it so difficult to plan a Walt Disney World vacation because from finding which resorts are the least full to getting reservations for a character breakfast that isn't sold out and for families today making reservations to eat at a character breakfast is very hard to do now if you have a computer that keeps freezing and by the time you get the computer working again you lose your option to make a reservation and the character breakfast you want to eat at is sold out and then you're stuck until you can search for another character breakfast that isn't sold out. But what I think Walt Disney World should do is build an adult theme park similar to Pleasure Island in Disney Springs and what this adult theme park addition to Disney Springs would consist of is nightclubs fancy restaurants and comedy clubs and karaoke clubs and dance clubs and it would be a hit with adults who are looking forward to having fun after they leave the children with a sitter. But I think the real problem that Walt Disney World has just like Universal Studios Florida has with Harry Potter is that Walt Disney World focuses on two things Star Wars and Marvel and beginning with the Guardians Of The Galaxy ride this was the start of their new image and with Marvel becoming popular now this is part of the new audience that Walt Disney World wants to attract but don't expect a Disney World version of Avengers Campus coming soon like Disneyland has but they will probably add a Marvel area to Disney's Hollywood Studios in a New Fantasyland like format. Now with Star Wars Walt Disney World came up with an easy format to appeal to Star Wars fans with Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and despite only having one ride just like the Disneyland version has the one thing that Galaxy's Edge could have is another ride or perhaps move Star Tours there. But since the popularity of Star Wars shows such as The Mandalorian Ahsoka and Andor Disney knows that Star Wars is a popular movie franchise but with the failure of Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser Disney needs to do something more with Star Wars in Walt Disney World and with Marvel they need to do something more like perhaps have a Marvel themed resort like Disneyland Paris has or build a hotel based on Avengers Tower where fans could role play heroes and heroines in a adventure story format and believe me it would sell and draw tons of fans to it. But I think that will start to change when Universal's Epic Universe opens soon and Walt Disney World's ticket prices will begin to get lower due to this

people find it so difficult to plan a Walt Disney World vacation because from finding which resorts are the least full to getting reservations for a character breakfast that isn't sold out and for families today making reservations to eat at a character breakfast is very hard to do now if you have a computer that keeps freezing and by the time you get the computer working again you lose your option to make a reservation and the character breakfast you want to eat at is sold out and then you're stuck until you can search for another character breakfast that isn't sold out.
It's much easier to search and obtain ADR nowadays. We don't book dining until the day before or the day of.

and with Marvel they need to do something more like perhaps have a Marvel themed resort like Disneyland Paris has or build a hotel based on Avengers Tower where fans could role play heroes and heroines in a adventure story format and believe me it would sell and draw tons of fans to it.
WDW is legally not allowed to use characters that are featured at Universal's Marvel Superhero Island, which is a large majority of them. The Guardians weren't present so that's why Cosmic Rewind exists in Epcot.

What I also think that has caused Walt Disney World to become what it is right now is despite the fact that they added new resorts and the addition of the Grand Destino Tower of Coronado Springs Resort people find it so difficult to plan a Walt Disney World vacation because from finding which resorts are the least full to getting reservations for a character breakfast that isn't sold out and for families today making reservations to eat at a character breakfast is very hard to do now if you have a computer that keeps freezing and by the time you get the computer working again you lose your option to make a reservation and the character breakfast you want to eat at is sold out and then you're stuck until you can search for another character breakfast that isn't sold out. But what I think Walt Disney World should do is build an adult theme park similar to Pleasure Island in Disney Springs and what this adult theme park addition to Disney Springs would consist of is nightclubs fancy restaurants and comedy clubs and karaoke clubs and dance clubs and it would be a hit with adults who are looking forward to having fun after they leave the children with a sitter. But I think the real problem that Walt Disney World has just like Universal Studios Florida has with Harry Potter is that Walt Disney World focuses on two things Star Wars and Marvel and beginning with the Guardians Of The Galaxy ride this was the start of their new image and with Marvel becoming popular now this is part of the new audience that Walt Disney World wants to attract but don't expect a Disney World version of Avengers Campus coming soon like Disneyland has but they will probably add a Marvel area to Disney's Hollywood Studios in a New Fantasyland like format. Now with Star Wars Walt Disney World came up with an easy format to appeal to Star Wars fans with Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and despite only having one ride just like the Disneyland version has the one thing that Galaxy's Edge could have is another ride or perhaps move Star Tours there. But since the popularity of Star Wars shows such as The Mandalorian Ahsoka and Andor Disney knows that Star Wars is a popular movie franchise but with the failure of Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser Disney needs to do something more with Star Wars in Walt Disney World and with Marvel they need to do something more like perhaps have a Marvel themed resort like Disneyland Paris has or build a hotel based on Avengers Tower where fans could role play heroes and heroines in a adventure story format and believe me it would sell and draw tons of fans to it. But I think that will start to change when Universal's Epic Universe opens soon and Walt Disney World's ticket prices will begin to get lower due to this
i do think that Disney wants to capitalize on Marvel & Star Wars, but i wouldn't say that's even close to their entire focus. In the same timeframe that brought on Pandora, and Toy story land. they are also in the works (it sounds like) to add Encanto and Zootopia. I do think that Marvel and Star Wars have broken the traditional Disney model that so many are accustomed to, and because of that there is a hyper fixation on the two. Just because Disney brought them into the parks does not mean that's their sole intention moving forward.

I do agree that they will continue to add the newer content that isn't originally Disney to HS, but when you think about it, that's where Disney has placed all of the nontraditional Disney things since conception, so it does make some sense.

Highly doubt Disney drops pricing because of EU in fact it could cause pricing to go up, as UO doesn't necessitate a full week visit and there may be some spill over to Disney. If i'm correct that is what ended up happening when HP opened at UO

I agree, although I think it’s a bit of tug o war going on. People want the nostalgia, but they also want new thrills, and on top of that the new stuff needs to be inclusive to the whole family otherwise why choose Disney over another park. It’s just hard to balance it all out IMO and I think they’re doing a pretty decent job.

I do agree that their thrill rides do not measure up to almost any other park, but the storytelling and attention to detail really make a difference
Truthfully if someone wants a high lvl thrill then they should go to a high lvl thrills park. Six Flags and friends are all right there for them. Disney is not (and should not imo) become a high lvl thrill park.

Truthfully if someone wants a high lvl thrill then they should go to a high lvl thrills park. Six Flags and friends are all right there for them. Disney is not (and should not imo) become a high lvl thrill park.

I agree. While I think there is room for some "more thrilling" rides - Rock'n Roller Coaster and such, I wouldn't want to see Disney pursue that aggressivly. Even RNRC is reasonably tame when compared to a the biggest, most extreme coasters out there.

At most I would want a coaster as good as Hagrid's at a Disney park (which isn't *super* thrilling compared to bigger coasters at other parks) but yeah I agree.

Personally i feel like they could make HS into a more tweens, teens, & adults centered more thrilling park. Overall i think sticking to family friendly but pushing that to the limit is the most intelligent move. It's the only park that can handle little kids, big kids, adults, and seniors without cutting it into areas specific to those groups ie) seuss landing

I agree. While I think there is room for some "more thrilling" rides - Rock'n Roller Coaster and such, I wouldn't want to see Disney pursue that aggressivly. Even RNRC is reasonably tame when compared to a the biggest, most extreme coasters out there.
Yep it’s finding that balance of thrill, mass accessibility, and entertainment value of an attraction. Nothing wrong with a solid high thrill coaster, I enjoy those too, but I can get those at any amusement park in my area.

I will agree theming is better at Disney compared to most other parks. As far as Guardians goes, iMO it's an average coaster. People love it for the music and theming. The coaster itself is not that thrilling. Not when you compare it to Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City.

Talk about two beautiful, regional parks that love their customers and annual passholders, it's Silver Dollar City and Dollywood.

Last year, Silver Dollar City announces their intent to rebuild their iconic attraction, Fire in the Hole. It's the Pirates or Mansion of Silver Dollar City. The coaster has been around since the early 70's, generations of people of ridden this ride. It's a big deal for this park.

They give the public almost a full year to come say goodbye to the ride and offer special merch, etc. Simultaneously, they're building a track for track modern clone of the ride in a new part of the park with modern effects, smoothness, etc. It opens on time, just three months after the closure of the old ride.

No mass uproar about replacing it. No closing it one day to never open it again. No false promises or we'll "bring it back seasonally."

Walt Disney World could never.

Talk about two beautiful, regional parks that love their customers and annual passholders, it's Silver Dollar City and Dollywood.

Last year, Silver Dollar City announces their intent to rebuild their iconic attraction, Fire in the Hole. It's the Pirates or Mansion of Silver Dollar City. The coaster has been around since the early 70's, generations of people of ridden this ride. It's a big deal for this park.

They give the public almost a full year to come say goodbye to the ride and offer special merch, etc. Simultaneously, they're building a track for track modern clone of the ride in a new part of the park with modern effects, smoothness, etc. It opens on time, just three months after the closure of the old ride.

No mass uproar about replacing it. No closing it one day to never open it again. No false promises or we'll "bring it back seasonally."

Walt Disney World could never.
And for generations, Disney fans would lament that “attraction name” was moved to a different part of the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter