Help me decide! BWI>LAX NONSTOP or BWI>LGB longer and short layover?

Oh my gosh! I would have been scared to get back on the plane. I'm glad that coconut didn't hit you! Yikes.
To be clear, it was only about the size of a small plum, LOL. But it fell from pretty high up so it did make a very resounding SMACK.

If you can manage (or afford) to get a non-stop flight, it's obviously the best way to go. However, I am almost never able to do that and I have had pretty good luck so far (knock on wood for my 2 upcoming trips to the East Coast).

I like to consider what options I have at the arrival airport for my return flight. LAX is a big airport with lots of flights and airlines. It gives you a higher chance of finding a replacement flight if something happens to your return flight, or 2nd leg in your case.

We're flying SW from BWI in late August and after reading here how everyone seems to despise LAX we booked into LGB even tho we can't go direct. We used points and it cost a lot less than into LAX. DH prefers a longer layover so that there's time for bathrooms & food / drinks. I wanted to go thru Denver but that departure was earlier so he said let's xfer thru Vegas for a slightly later departure time. We have a couple of hours there on the layover so hopefully that's plenty of time. Still haven't booked our return yet as I'm hoping prices might drop a few bucks...watching out of LGB, SNA & LAX every few days. I have fare alerts set up but haven't been receiving any updates. We're trying to be very price conscious so bottom line will probably win out. So far, there's not a HUGE price difference between the 3 airports tho.

Different airlines or the same for the choices? Some airline help you out more than others if you miss a connection.

Also I'd look at what later flight options there are if you miss the connecting flight. I'd feel more confidence doing it early in the day with multiple later flights from my connecting airport.

But yes, LAX is so much worse than LGB. It's a hard call.

PHXscuba

We're flying SW from BWI in late August and after reading here how everyone seems to despise LAX we booked into LGB even tho we can't go direct. We used points and it cost a lot less than into LAX. DH prefers a longer layover so that there's time for bathrooms & food / drinks. I wanted to go thru Denver but that departure was earlier so he said let's xfer thru Vegas for a slightly later departure time. We have a couple of hours there on the layover so hopefully that's plenty of time. Still haven't booked our return yet as I'm hoping prices might drop a few bucks...watching out of LGB, SNA & LAX every few days. I have fare alerts set up but haven't been receiving any updates. We're trying to be very price conscious so bottom line will probably win out. So far, there's not a HUGE price difference between the 3 airports tho.
Your layover is a couple of hours? In that case, relax - you'll make it. I generally avoid the layover in LAS because, well, I really hate Las Vegas and I find the terminals there are really annoying with the slot machines. OTOH, I swear they purposely make your layover hours long so you'll go and dump all your quarters in those slot machines...so connections are rarely an issue. There are lots of SWA flights from LAS to LGB so you'll make it.

After a lot more trolling of flights, I found a nonstop PHL-LAX on American at 10:55 and arriving at LAX at 1:45 pm.

All things considered, I think it is my best option. Thank you all so much for all of the sharing of experiences and opinions.

I then go on to SLC, and can get a nonstop from SNA, which I am joyfully scheduling, so only 1 LAX adventure for me.

Hello! I will be taking a solo trip to DLR in June. I’ve narrowed my flight options to BWI- LAX nonstop, at 5 hr 25 minutes, arriving 5:30. Other option is BWI>Long Beach, at 6hr 50 min, with a quick layover and the risk that brings. I will need to Uber or car service to DLR. I’ll have a large suitcase, as I then go on to a work conference for a week in Salt Lake City.

Which would you do?
I love LGB and will always choose LGB if that is an option. LAX is a little too crazy and busy for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter