DL without Magic Bands-how?

Note that even though MagicBands don't work at the hotels, your phone can be used as a key instead of getting room keys made for you. You do have to link your hotel reservation to the disneyland app (if not already there), but it's a good way to avoid having to go to the front desk.

Contrariwise, I do like having the room keys at the end of the day instead of having to pull up the room key part of the app, so having the room keys may still be a good idea for some!

I am so not a fan of that feature. 😂 I don't know if it's just me but I feel like it takes me so many steps to get to it. I much prefer MB or just room keys like you said.

I am so not a fan of that feature. 😂 I don't know if it's just me but I feel like it takes me so many steps to get to it. I much prefer MB or just room keys like you said.
Same. Getting to the key through the app is a giant pain IMO. Plus I've often gone to use it and it wouldn't work. I do like the effect when it does work, but only the main person on the reservation gets the room key on their phone. I ALWAYS request a physical key. Hopefully they'll do something better eventually, but meanwhile, the easiest and most user-friendly option is just to ask for keys when you check in.

DL AP holder here, and we don't own nor use Magic Bands when we visit (which is a lot). We just scan in with the app on our phone. We use it for our admission ticket as well as Genie+ and it works just fine. No need to buy a Magic Band.

WDW vet fresh back from first DLR trip since 2012. Party of six, five of us 13+, one Disney child. The ~adults all had phones and the DL app, and so whoever got the tickets or G+ LL up first scanned everyone in. We have no data, so used WiFi at all times. Once or twice a day in our five days, we'd have a WiFi issue as we tried to scan in, but it would pass and/or someone else would be connected and do the scanning.
I received a "free" Encanto MB+ with a shopDisney purchase in March, so we gave it to the child who LOVED it. Scanned herself in at the gate and LL, and excitedly gave us constant updates on the vibrations and color changes the band was doing in lines, passing certain places, and during shows like the fireworks. I would have preferred to have a band, but too expensive for infrequent visitors and a large party. If you see one at $20, that would be worthwhile IMO. I also thought it was fun to have one party member to show the rest the color-coded light changes (like blue and red at Web Slingers for Spidey colors), and think letting a child/phone-free party member be that person worked really well.
The first day I had to stop myself from trying to scan my FitBit in at every LL.

If you have a newer "+" MagicBand you can use that. I believe you will need to unlink it from your MDE app and link it to the Disneyland app.
No need to remove the MB+ from the MDE app. You do have to unlink it from Bluetooth and re-link in the other app. It' not a easy to do as it should be. Also this may have changed. I'm noticing the Disneyland and MDE apps are becoming more similar and talking to each other better.

100% you don't need a MB+ to enjoy Disneyland, but it does make getting into the parks, photopass, and scanning into LL much easier. It's nice that the kids can just walk up and scan when we get to the front of the line.

We also enjoy some of the areas in the park when the MBs do things like in the rides and during the shows.

If you do visit both coasts, a okay way to get a deal on a MB+ is to get one with your WDW resort stay and that way you also get your name put on them.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter