Animal Kingdom late arrival til close strategy?

Thoughts on Late Arrival Strategy with following:
  • In July (when afternoon temps awful vs early arrival)
  • With hopes of doing Boma at 6pm (kids get hungry early!

Right now, I am leaning towards leaving GF (on site) and getting there early (not right at rope drop). We will pay for ILL and G+. And leave after lunch. Rest at hotel. Is there enough to see/do with Disney bus travel times???? Hope to be back at AK by 330-4ish. Do a few "walk on rides", and be seated at Boma by 6ish. Is that too crazy?

My kids usually eat by 530. Boma is a must this trip. Or should we just do late arrival as planned above, and just deal with inferno-temps?

Thoughts on Late Arrival Strategy with following:
  • In July (when afternoon temps awful vs early arrival)
  • With hopes of doing Boma at 6pm (kids get hungry early!

Right now, I am leaning towards leaving GF (on site) and getting there early (not right at rope drop). We will pay for ILL and G+. And leave after lunch. Rest at hotel. Is there enough to see/do with Disney bus travel times???? Hope to be back at AK by 330-4ish. Do a few "walk on rides", and be seated at Boma by 6ish. Is that too crazy?

My kids usually eat by 530. Boma is a must this trip. Or should we just do late arrival as planned above, and just deal with inferno-temps?
Also going in July. Looking at last year's July calendar for AK with closing at 7pm, I think we're going to do a late start. Also coming from the West Coast. Staying at WL and don't want to mess with transportation time of going back & forth from resort to park, then park to resort, & back resort to park. Upwards of 2 hours of total travel time all said and done.

Here's my summary I posted in the still here thread (not the best day, too stressed about not being able to do everything all morning, and ultimately not doing everything I wanted to do). In retrospect I should have come for all day or bought genie+, though we had a couple special circumstances (long wait for new meet and greet Moana, everest down all morning/early aft so when back up longer waits than normal.)
___
5/2 AK part day afternoon, Touringplans crowd level 4, did not buy genie+ (but in hindsight should have). Got notice that expedition everest closed all morning.

Arrived just before 12pm, mobile ordered lunch at flame tree BBQ (nomad lounge walk in list was closed)
Wanted to meet Moana at 12:15 but was told that the line was closed (this was at 12) and to come early next time.
Picked up/ate Flame Tree bbq lunch and ate it in their seating area
1pm Nemo show
1:30 - got in line to meet Moana (2:10 time)
2:30 - in line for expedition everest (posted wait 50 mins). It was closed all morning and DD was sad no rides yet today... Actual wait time 65 mins, booo
3:35 - bathroom, snack break, Maharajah jungle trek
4:20 - was originally planning to get in line for the last showing of Festival of the Lion King at 5. I saw that Dinosaur had a 10 min wait. DD sad we passed it by the first time with a 40 min, so we ran there and had less than 5 min wait. I had visions of this taking too long and us missing the Lion King (the thing I was second most excited for here) because of this... Luckily, we got out around 4:40 and had plenty of time to hightail it to Africa for the lion king show.
5 - Festival of the Lion King show
535 - Kilimanjaro safari walk on. Got lucky and sat on the left (best!) side and had lots of animal sightings.
6:05- off ride and ideal plan was Navi, get Satuli canteen dinner to go, and in line for FoP by 6:59. Unfortunately, too rushed. We made detour at wilderness explorers main stand as I thought we'd get a badge for finishing 5-10 (nope), then took the wrong way to Satuli (started walking to Africa instead). By the time we got to Satuli and picked up dinner, found out that they no longer have to go cutlery, only metal... (and this is a quick service place! Pongu Pongu didn't have any either), decided to forego Navi.
6:30 - got in line for FoP (posted wait 60 min)
7:25 - got off FoP and slowly walked out of park. Sun not down yet, but great photo ops in Pandora and of the Tree of life.

Bah. All in all this day was frustrating. I was stressed all day trying to accomplish everything. Didn't plan on such long waits for Moana and Everest. Didn't get to do Navi, Africa jungle trek, Feathered friends show, Rafiki planet watch. In retrospect we should have just spent the whole day, or bought genie+.
Sorry for your experience, but this was really helpful.

Trying to predict LATE ARRIVAL this summer, navigating both heat and crowds at 12-4pm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter